Sunday, April 12, 2020

Totems and altars; the Delhi book

With the corona crisis on us, I have decided that I might as well clear old backlog of work. A big part of it has been what I commonly refer to as the Delhi book. Totems and altars is a small selection of photos and text from a 3 year long project photographing Delhi. To be completely open, I didn’t really know what I was getting into when I started working towards this, not that I know much more now; but a certain clarity of what I expected of the work was missing. The work itself was good, don’t take me the wrong way here, but I had no idea what the work would end up being.
It traversed the path between a zine, to a book, to a photo book, to a chapbook, to a gallery exhibition,  and all along the way fell victim to my character defects. Nothing really came of it, and I still have the photos in my hard disk, and I occasionally mention the Delhi book to folks. In the interest of tying up loose ends and keeping my end of the street clean, find appended two links to Totems and Altars, in a proof version for when I tried to get a publisher but didn’t reach out to anyone because I feared rejection, and because I had a massive chip on my shoulder.
The first couple of pages are blank, as they were meant to be filled by a small introduction by a collaborator, but as things were, it never came to be. We ended up not being on talking terms for no fault of theirs.
I imagine this is me closing the chapter on a pretty rough and tumble part of my life. The entire series of Totems and Altars, and Riverlands contains around 60 photos. One of these days, I’ll get my act together and do something about them, but this will suffice for now. Progress, not perfection is by new guiding principle these days; and things, and my general outlook are considerably better. Happy reading.





https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr1y3evg81b5in7/Sharma_Rahul_ta.pdf?dl=0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FDgjD7K_NCSvJ7ovjXvQF-VatN4Ot01H/view?usp=drivesdk

No comments: